Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Borneo!

OK, so I have been horrible at updating my blog over the last month. BUT, I hope my excuse is valid--I've been having too much fun in Malaysia! Over the past 5 weeks Zach and I have spent 12 days on an idyllic white sand beach in the Perhentian islands of peninsula Malaysia's east coast. The snorkeling was incredible! We swam with sting rays, sea turtles, rainbow fish and reef sharks to list but a few of the marine life in the coral reefs in the area. Did I mention the water was crystal clear? At times it was so warm I felt like I was in a bath-- but I wouldn't dare complain. This place was incredible.

From the islands we voyaged via bus to Malaysia's capital city, Kuala Lumpur. Like most SE Asian cities KL was hot and sticky, but it has plenty to offer the wandering tourist. The twin towers really are that impressive, and our timing to the city allowed us to attend an evening of the Kuala Lumpur World Marching Band Competition. Nerdy? Yes. The competition was held in Merdeka Stadium where Malaysian's independence was announced half a decade ago. It brought me back to my days as in the Mustang Band at Western! The bands were incredible. From KL we flew to Malaysian Borneo into Miri, Sarawak state. From here we caught a twin otter plane into Gunung Mulu National Park, AMAZING!

Zach has posted pictures and written on the islands, KL, and Mulu here, so I will save my precious internet time to load some new images for your viewing pleasure. After Mulu, Zach and I made our way to Kuching. We spent two days in Bako National Park where we spotted plenty of wildlife. Flying lemurs, Langors, Probosics monkeys, and the naughty Macaques. The trip to Bako involved an hour-long bus ride on the loudest city bus I've ever been on. Trust me, there were a few bolts loose on this one! The bus dropped off at a jetty where we caught a speed boat into the park.
These primates are cool! This is a langor ( also know as a silver-leaf monkey) taking a break from a mid-day snack. Just after I took this picture a shirtless and sweaty Slovenian man threw a piece of bread at this little guy and scared him off. The Langor wasn't interested in this eastern european charity. We were not impressed either! Unfortunately, the downside of Bako is the presence of ignorant tourists treating the park as a feeding zoo.

A male Proboscis hanging out by park HQ.

View from the jetty.

Evening Sunset.

1 comment:

T said...

Hey Jennie!

The photos are great! Together with the description, I can't help being reminded of one of the landscapes from Myst, the computer games.

For example:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Riven-prison.png